Saturday, May 14, 2011

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

"I will be patient in steadily working toward my goal, remembering that all good comes in time"


I am sitting here on my couch writing as I am watching "Eat, Pray, Love" and thinking about the aforementioned quote.  Today I was confronted with the reality of a fork in the road.  Without giving every boring detail, the jist of the story is that I was getting into a situation that was exciting and validating but not because I was ready and excited to move forward, but because it was the perfect distraction.  Everyone wants to feel needed, and attractive and that is what I was experiencing.  The problem is that I am dealing with some heavy things that are necessary, and frankly, exhausting.  Topics that are not able to be worked on while hiding behind another relationship or professional endeavor.


I read the quote this evening and it resonated with my true intention - which is to heal my wounds and reconcile things within my heart.  It is my pattern to find anything that makes me feel safe, even for the moment.  I know now that I can only get to the castle if I swim through the moat.  As long as I have these things from my past laying like piles of dirty laundry in my heart, I am never going to be able to welcome someone in without being embarrassed and insecure.  


Patience is a virtue, its a cliche, but its a virtue because it is not easily cultivated.  Goals are not defined by instant gratification, they are defined by the steps and processes by which we travel to a certain point.  I have taught people for a while in the cosmetology industry that you can't just start a haircut and hope that it turns out - you cannot get somewhere if you don't know where you are going.  I would not tell a stylist to use any tool they wanted to create this haircut, that would be ridiculous - really, who wants a haircut with a chainsaw...or a tweezer??  No, if you have a certain task, you need to use the best tools to complete the job.  I am finding that the tools that I need to heal my wounds are my faith, patience, and honesty.  Faith that my God will see me through this season, patience that each moment will bring a lesson, and honesty with myself about what needs to be done.  


‎"I will be patient in steadily working toward my goal, remembering that all good comes in time." 


I will be patient while my heart slowly heals, remembering that all good comes in the time that I allow God to work in me.  Moment by Moment, Day by Day - slow and steady wins the race.


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?...