Friday, April 8, 2011

Recently I have done a lot of introspection and self work and have made some incredible discoveries about myself and the world around me.  I have been bothered lately by the amount of discrepancy there was between my faith and my heart.  After talking to a lot of people, working with my therapist and praying on it, I have finally come to an explanation of my faith that fits my heart like a glove.


I believe that Jesus died to save me, and that we are called to love and not judge.  THATS IT.  I grew up with an unrealistic image of the "perfect" Christian, which included judging other people that I didn't quite understand. It also included being condemned for sin that I hadn't even committed yet.  The thought that asking questions is bad always baffled me because I wondered how we were supposed to grow in the faith if we weren't able to express curiosity at a heart level.  Now as an adult I have realized that I was raised in a very conservative fundamental Christian household, which is great and good, however not realistic for me and my beliefs.  As I look at my faith through this new reorganized lens, I find that the things that I placed so much weight and judgment on are trivial in the big scheme of things.

I sat down with my mom and sister last night and brought up all of the things that I have been pondering and sorting through, and found that no one expected me to be perfect.  As a child I took everything literally and was sure that the word "sinner" meant that I would never be good enough and it was my duty to try tirelessly to achieve a "good" status.  A lot of people hit a point in their teens where they start questioning and going in their own direction in order to figure out what they believe, I just didn't do that.  I was so afraid that I would do something that would make me fall even further from grace, and I couldn't afford that as I was convinced that I wasn't good enough to begin with.

I was always a step behind, a dollar short and a day late.  Comparing this with the new view of my faith created incredible dissonance in my heart.  I considered what I would teach my own kids...definitely not what I was believing because it is a cruel way to live.  Now I see things a bit clearer.  I am called to love and not judge, that includes myself and the world around me.  When I let go of the black and white thinking, I found that there is so much beauty in everyday life that I never noticed because I was so busy judging myself and striving tirelessly toward the illusive 'perfection'.

As I go on with my introspection and discovery I am challenging myself to keep in mind that balance is in the key and perfection is not the goal.  I love my life and this journey is interesting to say the least, I feel stronger and more grounded in my beliefs and convictions.  I believe that in the future I will embrace my curiosity and be open to new information and ideas while maintaining my integrity and values.

<3

2 comments:

  1. Wow Haley! Thank you for sharing this. I was also raised in a very strict conservative christian home. I always felt so guilty for everything. Every sin I committed. Even the ones I never committed. I always thought I was bad. My parents would use the guilt of Jesus being mad and disappointed to get me to stop "bad" behaviors. I was raised to never question adults and the beliefs they taught me. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had this realization. Always live your life in the way that you believe is best for you. We are human, thus sinners by nature. Jesus died for us as the Son of God. Believe in Him and you have a spot in heaven for when God judges you. You are perfect just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?...