Thursday, February 3, 2011

Passions, Thorns, and Blessings

Wow, so many things have been happening in my life and I am just trying to wrap my head around them.  New passions of mine are becoming blatantly obvious, thorns that have always been in my side have started to throb, and blessings have been coming out of the woodwork.  


Example 1:
I always believe that things happen for a reason.  Two days ago, my doctor scheduled an upper GI test...at 9am today (Thursday)...well I have Biology Lecture at 9:45 a half hour from the clinic.  Last night I decided I was going to reschedule the test so I could go to class and this morning, I woke up an hour late and realized I only had time to get to the clinic.  I arrived and did the test, and during the process talked to the lab technician about her daughter who also goes to the eating disorder clinic where I receive treatment.  In the course of our conversation, I was able to tell her of my recovery and remind her that her 15 year old is the patient and her team knows what is best for her.  I was able to use my passion for recovery and my hard work to help another family who is being plagued by this disorder...in the end we were both in tears and I shared some resources for this distressed mother and I received one of the most love-filled hugs I have ever experienced.



Example 2:
Yesterday I met with a psychiatrist who is also highly involved with the court system and knows many people who have power in the legal system and also in congress.  I was able to share a bit about my stress related illness and we discussed how ridiculous it is that Minnesota does not recognize mental illness as a disability.  It just so happened that he is having lunch with the newly appointed Health Commissioner today and this exact issue is on the agenda for the meeting.  I gave him permission to use my story and I look forward to seeing some changes in the Minnesota statutes now that we have new leadership and a fresh take on the issue.


Example 3:
I have been working on myself for a long time, mainly recovering from this eating disorder, and now focusing on healing from past abuse.  I have had a hard time in the past 9 months remaining single as I have had plenty of gentleman callers who were interested in beginning a relationship with me.  I have gone back and forth between "No, I am not dating" and "Im all better, Im ready for this".  Naturally, my family would be completely confused and unsure which is true at any given time.  I have recently met a man that I am very interested in.  I have done a fabulous job of standing up for myself and setting clear boundaries.  I was honest from the get go with him that I am not ready for a relationship and he agreed that this is a great time to build a strong friendship.  We are on the same page and all is good... until my family got scared for me.  After a big misunderstanding and a game of 'telephone', we are all on the same page.  We have all learned that it is best to talk to people directly rather than airing issues to people who are not involved.  Tight families are great, AND they can be challenging.  I appreciate the concern and also the fact that my family is trying to balance respecting my space AND noticing areas where I could be hurt.  This is definitely a learning process and I am thanking God that I have a family who cares, AND that I have the ability to respectfully set boundaries with even the closest people.


SO...in the past week, I have been up, down, around, through, and sideways.  I am resilient, strong, determined, passionate, imperfect, and a hubongus beautiful mess.  I am determined to make the most of this moment, God save the person who tries to get in the way of my good day.


You are Loved
Haley

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to see how the Lord will use you! You bless others because you're not afraid!

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?...