Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Do I Please You?

People Pleasing:  The impossible act of attempting to read other people's mind in order to do exactly what they want to make their life better or make them happy.


I have spent my life attempting to please everyone around me for many reasons, but mainly so that I wouldn't ever be alone.  Now I could go into a tearful sob story about my family of origin and blah and blah blah blah.... I am not going to do that.  What I am going to say is that the effort to blindly please people is in vain.  It is 100% impossible to please the people around you!  You are not capable of controlling other people's emotions...including happiness.  No matter how hard you try, you will NEVER make someone feel something.



There is good news however!  Over the past 2 years, I have found that the more authentic I am, the less I need to worry about people's opinion around me.  This is not because my authenticity makes everyone around me happy - quite the contrary - sometimes my authenticity outright pisses people off because it doesn't 'jive' with their lifestyle or their idea of what is 'right'.  The reason I don't need to worry about the way people perceive me is because when I am my authentic self, I love who I am and am confident in my skin.  I don't need to please others to find happiness, I have happiness and sometimes that just happens to please others.  The intention is different when you are authentic, instead of trying to please others to gain favor, you have favor with yourself and have time to make someone else's day.  


I would choose to be a day maker over a people pleaser any day of the week.  Recently I have decided that the people that like who I am as a person can stick around, and those that don't care for me can move on.  I am who I am and that is all I will ever be...and I am happy with me.  Gone are the days of attempting to fit into other people's 'Haley mold', God made me and then broke the mold so I am exactly what I am supposed to be....and so are you!  


My challenge to you is to look inside and find your authentic self, put your sassy pants on, and tell the world that you are pleased with yourself and they can take it or leave it.


Always remember:


You are Loved!
Haley

2 comments:

  1. This reminded me of the song from Rent.... "take me babaaay, or leave me." (cue sister duet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is where I got my confidence to tell others to take a flying leap if they didn't like me....and I would duet with you any day :-)

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?...